Sunday, May 9, 2010

The Pope's Latinist: An Interview!



Welcome All! Today I'm venturing into the video realm. Last month I had a chance to sit down with my old friend and Latin teacher, Reginald Foster. We had a grand old time with a little red wine and some circuitous conversations about the Latin language and history. Toward the end of my visit, I asked Foster to do a short interview, which I've recorded...and most of his response is in Latin. He's recovering well from recent health problems, or what he's called "dying twice!"...and avoiding the old cemetery in Wisconsin near Holy Hill, which we touch on briefly at the beginning of the 6-and-some-minute video. This week, Foster will receive an honorary Doctor of Laws from the University of Notre Dame. As always, he sends his best regards to his students...past, present, and future!

3 comments:

  1. This is a great format and exceptionally interesting. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really great--I wish I could understand him. Thanks for introducing me to him! That's an event I will never forget.

    ReplyDelete