Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Walden: Books and Thoreau

Walden...Some Years Ago

So good readers, as you see with my last post, I'm "quite behind."  At least three years ago, I started this entry, and never got further than uploading photos of a trip I took to Walden Pond.  If my memory is correct, this was a trip I took to visit my brother in 2012 or thereabouts.  It may have been earlier than that, but I don't know.  In any case, my distinct recollection of Walden was that it was quite different from the Walden of Thoreau's age:  it had lots of paths, a beach, and scores of families enjoying the locale.  It was not a wilderness.  Rather, it was more of a "busy park" near Boston.  It's amazing how the passage of time and the gradual settling of locations can and does turn a place from an uninhabited forest into a city!  Well, a big town, at least.  It was a good day for a walk in any event.  If you're in the area, go visit Henry David's old stomping grounds.  You might get a feeling of communion with the natural world.








No comments:

Post a Comment