Saturday, March 2, 2013

NYC Book Art


A Modest Observation

We all see examples and expressions of "book art" wherever we go.  And I'm generally a pretty enthusiastic supporter of these artistic and creative endeavors.  I remember a few years ago, when I visited the Hyde Park Art Center in Chicago, I saw this incredibly crafted "antique" Encyclopedia, from the 1920s, which a clever paper artist had taken a scalpel to, and turned it into this miraculous Borges-style menagerie.  It was a veritable paper-zoo of cut outs from the Encyclopedia's animalistic entries!  Indeed, quite amazing.  I don't recall who the artist was, and I now wish I'd written down both the name of the artist and the name of the artist's work.  Perhaps one day I'll find this person.  In the mean time, I share with you this curious image I took last year, sometime around (and near) the Tribeca Film Festival in NYC.  I saw this artist, who'd taken the covers of books, and turned them into a masterful palette of...well, yes, almost another menagerie!  Take a look for yourself.  Here too, I did not get the name of this artist.  I guess I've learned my lesson.  From now on, I ought to document more than just the image, and really pursue...metadata!


No comments:

Post a Comment